Written by our personal injury lawyers in Charlottesville

Wilson & Hajek represent persons, and the families of persons, injured or killed by drunk drivers in Charlottesville, Augusta County, Waynesboro, and throughout central Virginia.   We cannot bring back loved ones but we can help drunk driving victims receive full financial compensation.

Legal consequences of providing alcohol to minors

Some parents provide alcohol to minors at parties in Charlottesville, Augusta County, and Waynesboro. Others look the other way even though it is obvious that underage drinking is taking place.  Under either of these circumstances, are there legal consequences for the parents?  ABSOLUTELY!

Parents can be held responsible when the consumption of alcohol by minors (when parents know or should know of the consumption) results in alcohol causing someone:

• To get in a fight that results in injuries

• Fall and hurt themselves or someone else

• Sexually assaults someone

• Damages property

• Dies from drinking too much

• Injures or kills someone while driving after leaving the party

According to our personal injury lawyers in Charlottesville, the parent can be sued for monetary damages if either someone at the party is hurt or a third party is injured.  Under Virginia law, parents can be found liable for negligence if they provided the alcohol to a minor and the minor causes injury to another, or even him or herself.

Criminal charges can also be filed, such as contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Providing or allowing underage persons to possess or consume alcohol is a Class I misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a $2,500.00 fine. If you purchase or give alcohol to a minor, you can lose your driver’s license for up to a year.

Should you or a minor child become involved in an underage drinking incident resulting in personal injury or death, you can contact the law firm of Wilson & Hajek to discuss these many laws that govern most situations involving auto or home personal injury resulting from alcohol consumption.

You can collect for injuries. Call the personal injury law firm of Wilson & Hajek.

Personal injury lawyers in Charlottesville serving Augusta County, Waynesboro and all of central Virginia.